We analyze student data throughout the year to inform and improve our work in schools.
In partnership with Boston Public Schools, our evaluation team leverages both qualitative and quantitative data to ensure our AmeriCorps members are providing targeted, effective interventions with students. Our evaluation and coaching team:
- Identifies and recommends students who would benefit most from AmeriCorps members’ targeted support.
- Monitors student progress every six weeks to determine specific skill gap areas in literacy and math, social-emotional skill strength areas, and attendance trends.
- Observes AmeriCorps members working with students and guides them through applying quantitative data to specific action steps with students.
Last school year, students who worked with AmeriCorps members saw significant growth.
684 students increased their average daily attendance rates, leading to more than
“There are few resources more valuable to a school than committed, well-trained, focused corps members...City Year corps members develop strong relationships with students which deepens the student’s connection to the school and motivates them to achieve.”
–Principal Robby Chisholm, Condon K-8 School
Year over year, City Year continues to expand our service to support more Boston students and schools.
Since 2011 (when we started serving full-time in schools), we have leveraged public funding, corporate sponsorship, and private investments to reach over 12,000 Boston Public Schools students. Some milestones include:
- We have more than doubled the size of our corps, growing from 140 AmeriCorps members in 2011 to over 200 AmeriCorps members this year.
- Our AmeriCorps members have supported more than 66,820 total students through our Whole School, Whole Child program, which creates a positive, engaging school climate for all students.
- We have expanded from serving in just 10 schools to 29 different schools this year, including 5 high schools!
Learn much more about our impact in our new Impact Report.