"City Year has been one of the most impactful near-peer mentor programs I've measured in over three decades of public education service. The effects of the Corp on students' attendance, behavior and course completion has contributed to double-digit percentage gains in achievement across all five disciplines as measured on the State's standardized graduation test, an extraordinary decrease in reported level I disciplinary incidents, and a significant increase in the number of students matriculating to the next grade level. I have the data; the partnership works!"-Dr. J. Daniel Good, Former Superintendent, Columbus City Schools
Since 1994, City Year AmeriCorps members have had a positive impact on students in Columbus City Schools. Over the past 25 years, we have seen great progress with our students and partner schools and have acheived the following milestones:
- Served more than 1 million hours
- Impacted more than 75,000 students
- Encouraged nearly 10,000 community volunteers give back to Columbus
- Deployed more than 700 corps members
During the 2017-2018 Academic City Year:
- AmeriCorps members served more than 12,700 hours tutoring Columbus City School students in Attendance, Behavior, and English Language Arts and Math Coursework.
- 223 students were enrolled in Behavior interventions, with 70% of students showing improvement from October to May.
- 281 students were enrolled in English Language Arts Academic interventions, with 63% of students showing at least one year's growth according to the NWEA Measures of Academic Progress Assessment. This was an increase of 7% from the previous school year.
- 296 students were enrolled in Math Academic Interventions, with 55% of students demonstrating at least one year's growth, according to the NWEA Measures of Academic Progress Assessment. This was an increase of 2% from the previous school year.
Our hard work has paid off and has resulted in:
Contributions to a Positive School Environment
- 110+ students regularly attending City Year afterschool programming
- 60+ City Year partnership school-wide events and initiatives
High Partner Satisfaction
- 100% of Partner Principals are very satisfied with the overall experience of working with City Year.
- 91% of Partner Teachers believe that City Year AmeriCorps Members foster a positive environment for learning, and provide essential academic supports that students wouldn't otherwise receive.
Statistically Significant Growth in Student Social Emotional Skills
- Attendance, Behavior, and Course Performance focus list students across all schools self-reported a statistically significant positive change in their Action Orientation, Assertiveness, and Refection skills from October to May according to the Holistic Student Assessment.